Great-Aunt Amy's Date Bars
This recipe has been handed down from my Great-Aunt Amy, who was born in 1879. My mother baked these bars every Christmas, and now my sisters and I bake them for our own family holiday gatherings.
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) pitted dates, chopped, divided
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- Confectioners' sugar
- Roll half of the dates in 1 tablespoon flour; arrange in bottom of a
- greased and floured 9-in. square baking pan. In a bowl, combine
- remaining ingredients except confectioners sugar. Spread over dates.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes. Cool; cut into squares and roll in
- confectioners' sugar. Yield: 6-7 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 80 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 17 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.