Grasshopper Baked Alaska Recipe
Can you believe it? This stunning dessert is completely make ahead, including the meringue. All you need to do is bake it for a few minutes in the oven before serving.—
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 package (4.67 ounces) mint Andes candies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons creme de menthe
- 1 tablespoon creme de cacao
- Green food coloring, optional
- 8 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar. Beat in vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into chocolate mixture.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 8-in. round baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the ice cream, Andes candies, liqueurs and, if desired, food coloring. Transfer to an 8-in. round bowl (1-1/2 qts.) lined with plastic wrap; freeze until set.
- 4. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 5. Place brownie on an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet; top with inverted ice cream mold. Remove plastic wrap. Immediately spread meringue over ice cream, sealing to edges of brownie. Freeze until ready to serve, up to 24 hours.
- 6. Bake at 400° for 2-5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Transfer to a serving plate; serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece equals 523 calories, 24 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 294 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC