Grapefruit Spinach Salad
A sunshiny splash of citrus adds zest to this company-special spinach salad dressed up with dried cherries. To cut prep time to almost nothing (or when grapefruit is out of season), our Test Kitchen suggests using a jar of grapefruit segments found in your grocery produce section.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 large pink grapefruit
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Cut each grapefruit in half horizontally. With a sharp knife, cut
- around each section to loosen fruit; remove fruit segments and set
- aside. Squeeze grapefruit halves, reserving 1 tablespoon juice. In a
- large salad bowl, combine the spinach, celery, cherries and
- grapefruit segments.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients
- and reserved juice; shake well. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 166 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 94 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable,