Grapefruit Meringue Shells Recipe
“This pretty citrus dessert is refreshing, simple to make and elegant-looking. It's popular at our house both after a meal and with tea in the afternoon or evening.” Patricia Polewski - McAllen, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing YIELD:8 servings
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (.8 ounce) sugar-free cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup red grapefruit juice
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 medium red grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 2. Drop eight mounds onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape into 3-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Bake at 225° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Cool on wire racks.
- 3. For filling, combine the pudding mix, grapefruit juice and milk in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Transfer to a bowl. Cover surface with waxed paper; refrigerate until chilled.
- 4. Just before serving, spoon pudding into meringue shells. Garnish with grapefruit and whipped topping. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 147 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 89 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC