- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (.8 ounce) sugar-free cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup red grapefruit juice
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 medium red grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add cream of tartar; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Drop eight mounds onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Shape into 3-in. cups with the back of a spoon. Bake at 225° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until set and dry. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Cool on wire racks.
- For filling, combine the pudding mix, grapefruit juice and milk in a small saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Transfer to a bowl. Cover surface with waxed paper; refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, spoon pudding into meringue shells. Garnish with grapefruit and whipped topping. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Grapefruit Meringue Shells
Sort By :
USE ORANGE JUICE AND ORANGES FOR A SWEETER VERSION. SPLENDA IF DESIRED
To judygill1, The pudding is sugar-free. Thus the weight difference--sweetener, less is used and it is much lighter than regular sugar ;) If you want to use regular pudding instead of the sugar-free type, it should prep about the same.///I made this in lemon and used raspberries instead of the grapefruit. YUMMY!!
Since pudding does not come in an .8 oz package, do you mean a 3.4 oz package?
I haven't tried it yet,as I cannot eat grapefruit.
Was wondering about using orange instead
Grapefruit meringue shells is a simple, easy dessert that my family only makes for special occasions. It tastes so good, we keep it for days when we want a special meal and it's a perfect finish to an awesome supper.
More Recipe Collections
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Desserts >