Grapefruit Meringue Pie Recipe
There's a grapefruit tree in our backyard, so I like to use fresh grapefruit juice when I make this pie. I just love the unique citrus flavor of this dessert.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups pink grapefruit juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch. Stir in grapefruit juice and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a 1/2 cup of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in butter and extract. Pour hot filling into pastry shell.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 384 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 92 mg cholesterol, 154 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC