Instead of giving your kids packaged fruit snacks, offer them fruit leather! This nutritious treat keeps in a sealed bag at room temperature for one month.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours + cooling
- 1-1/2 pounds seedless red grapes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sort and wash grapes; remove stems. Place grapes in a steamer basket;
- place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil;
- cover and steam for 15 minutes or until soft.
- Preheat oven to 200°, Transfer grapes to a blender or food
- processor; cover and puree. Strain grapes through a food mill into a
- small bowl; discard skin. Stir in sugar and lemon juice.
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with parchment paper. Spread fruit
- mixture evenly onto parchment paper. Bake 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours or
- until fruit leather feels slightly sticky. Cool completely.
- Transfer fruit leather to a new 15x10-in. sheet of parchment paper.
- Roll up leather in parchment paper jelly-roll style, starting with a
- short side (do not unroll). Cut into six 1-1/2-in. pieces. Store in
- an airtight container in a cool dry place up to 1 month.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 roll equals 97 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 2 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.