Granny's Spicy Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 4 to 5 celery ribs with leaves, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons pickling spices
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked noodles
- 1. Place chicken and water in a large soup kettle. Cover and bring to a boil; skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until chicken falls off bone.
- 2. Strain broth; return to kettle. Allow chicken to cool; debone and cut into chunks. Skim fat from broth. Return chicken to broth along with celery, carrots and onion.
- 3. Place pickling spices in a tea ball or cheesecloth bag; add to soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove spices; add salt if desired, bouillon, pepper and noodles. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until noodles are tender. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
1 cup: 114 calories, 3g fat (0g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 74mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 14g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable
Reviews for Granny's Spicy Soup
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.