Granny's Spicy Soup Recipe
My mother makes the best soups around and has become known to others as "The Soup Lady". When my kids ask me to make Granny's soup, I'm happy to oblige.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 8 cups water
- 4 to 5 celery ribs with leaves, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons pickling spices
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked noodles
- Place chicken and water in a large soup kettle. Cover and bring to a boil; skim fat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until chicken falls off bone.
- Strain broth; return to kettle. Allow chicken to cool; debone and cut into chunks. Skim fat from broth. Return chicken to broth along with celery, carrots and onion.
- Place pickling spices in a tea ball or cheesecloth bag; add to soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove spices; add salt if desired, bouillon, pepper and noodles. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until noodles are tender. Yield: 12 servings (about 3 quarts).
Originally published as Granny's Spicy Soup in Country Chicken Cookbook 1995, p27
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Granny's Spicy Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review