Granny's Spice Cookies
"Granny always had a batch of these delicious, crispy cookies waiting for us at her house." recalls Valerie Hudson of Mason City, Iowa. "Now 92, Granny lives far away, so when I miss her more than usual, I make these cookies and let the aroma fill my house and heart."
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3-1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Red Hot candies, nonpareils and/or sprinkles
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg, corn syrup, orange peel
- and cold water. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and
- cloves; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for at least 1
- hour. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough, a portion at a time,
- to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place on greased
- baking sheets. Decorate as desired. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes
- or until lightly browned. Yield: 24 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 186 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 187 mg sodium,