Granny's Spice Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Red Hot candies, nonpareils and/or sprinkles
- 1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, corn syrup, orange peel and cold water. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes with a cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Decorate as desired. Bake until lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 186 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 187 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Granny's Spice Cookies
"These are crispy, delicate, and have wonderful flavour from those warm wintery spices! Wow. Finally tried this recipe after looking at it for ages and I'm so glad I did."