Granny's Rhubarb Pie Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, water and vinegar; stir into flour mixture until a ball forms.
- 2. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, apples, pineapple, honey and lemon juice. Combine sugar and flour; add to rhubarb mixture. Pour into crust. Dot with butter.
- 4. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until the pastry is golden brown and the apples are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 595 calories, 27g fat (7g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 469mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein
Reviews for Granny's Rhubarb Pie
"I used my own pie crust recipe, but used the filling recipe as given in the recipe. It was perfect! I'll definitely make this again."