Granny's Rhubarb Pie Recipe
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, water and vinegar; stir into flour mixture until a ball forms.
- 2. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the rhubarb, apples, pineapple, honey and lemon juice. Combine sugar and flour; add to rhubarb mixture. Pour into crust. Dot with butter.
- 4. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until the pastry is golden brown and the apples are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 595 calories, 27g fat (7g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 469mg sodium, 83g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein .
Reviews for Granny's Rhubarb Pie
"I used my own pie crust recipe, but used the filling recipe as given in the recipe. It was perfect! I'll definitely make this again."