The rich molasses and spice flavor of this old-time dessert is complemented with a buttery caramel sauce.—Joy Sparks, Muskegon, Michigan
- 9 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with water.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in.-square. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.
- For caramel sauce, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until smooth. Serve with warm cake. Top with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Granny's Gingerbread Cake with Caramel Sauce in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p126
Reviews for Granny's Gingerbread Cake with Caramel Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review