From country handcrafter and homemaker Alberta McKay of Bartlesville, Oklahoma comes a fitting fall birthday cake for grandparents—one children and grandchildren will enjoy, too.—Alberta McKay, Bartlesville, Oklahoma
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups chopped walnuts
- Red food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients and beat well. Fold in apples and walnuts (batter will be thick).
- Spread into two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine flour and milk in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Set aside, uncovered, at room temperature for 20 minutes. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and vanilla. Add salt and cooked flour mixture; beat until smooth. If you wish to "write" on the cake with frosting, reserve 1/4 cup and tint with red food coloring; set aside. Use remaining frosting to frost between layers and on top and sides of cake. If desired, use the red frosting and a round decorator's tip to add "Happy Birthday" on top. Carefully press walnuts around sides. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Grandparent's Birthday Cake in Country Woman September/October 1995, p51
Reviews for Grandparent's Birthday Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review