Grandpa's Pizza Bread Recipe
My grandmother made this pan bread often but never wrote down the recipe. Eventually, my dad experimented until he came up with precise measurements. Our kids loves Grandpa's Pizza Bread.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add 4 teaspoons of oil, salt, remaining water and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Brush a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with 1 tablespoon oil. Press dough into pan. Brush with the remaining oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cut in squares; serve warm, or at room temperature. Yield: 16-20 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 104 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 178 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC