Grandpa's Cookies Recipe
"My grandpa, a widower, raised his three sons on his own and did all the cooking and lots of baking," explains Karen Baker of Dover, Ohio. "I can still picture him making these tasty old-fashioned cookies."
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1. In several large bowls, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, water and vanilla. Combine the remaining ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into three rolls; wrap with plastic wrap. Chill 4 hours or overnight.
- 3. Cut rolls into 1/4-in. slices; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 10 dozen.
2 cookies equals 167 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC