Grandpa's Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1. In several large bowls, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, water and vanilla. Combine the remaining ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into three rolls; wrap with plastic wrap. Chill 4 hours or overnight.
- 3. Cut rolls into 1/4-in. slices; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 10 dozen.
2 each: 167 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 135mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Grandpa's Cookies
"There is nothing more classic, or humble than this recipe! I remember my Grandmother wrapping and putting rolls of this dough in the freezer. We always mixed dough in quantity, on the farm. This cookie is soft, chewy and keeps well!"
"These cookied are really delicious. They bake up soft and chewy."