Grandmother's Orange Salad Recipe
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 package (6 ounces) orange gelatin
- 1 pint orange sherbet, softened
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1. Drain oranges and pineapple, reserving juices. Set oranges and pineapple aside. Add water to juices to measure 2 cups. Place in a saucepan and bring to a boil; pour over gelatin in a large bowl. Stir until gelatin is dissolved. Stir in sherbet until smooth.
- 2. Chill until partially set (watch carefully). Fold in oranges, pineapple and bananas. Pour into an oiled 6-cup mold. Chill until firm. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 piece: 161 calories, 1g fat (trace saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 55mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Grandmother's Orange Salad
"I grew up surrounded by the old timers in my family who survived the depression era. They were fond of jello. The fondness continues on!"
"It was so easy (and quick) to make! It was wonderful. You do have to watch it carefully when it is chilling though, as it chills quite a bit faster than your typical jello salad. It is a great and colorful addition to a summer meal!"