Grandmother's Hamburger Stew Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup cubed peeled potato
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 2 tablespoons uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, potato, carrot, rice, salt if desired and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 40-45 minutes or until rice and vegetables are tender. Yield: 2 servings.
1 each: 319 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 565mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein .
Reviews for Grandmother's Hamburger Stew
"My family found this bland. Was like eating boiled hamburger despite the fact that I followed the recipe exactly. I would not make it again and would not recommend it to others."
"I made this recipe per the directions. I am fonder of a thicker stew and this one was thinner than my family likes. I wouldn't make it again. We ended up adding more salt as well as it was bland."
"This looks like the dish my Aunt used to make. She prepared it green beans instead of rice."
"Very good !"
"I used turkey in place of the hamburger and it was still very flavorful."
"Extremely easy and great flavor."