Grandmother's Chocolate Cake
Nothing beats a homemade chocolate cake and this is the cake my family makes for special occasion.—Gloria Edwards, McPherson, Kansas
12-16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, milk and vanilla;
- beat well. Combine flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and soda; add
- to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in water; mix until smooth.
- (Batter will be thin.) Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x
- 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until cake
- tests done. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners' sugar if
- desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 227 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 326 mg sodium,