- To make dumplings, combine flour and salt. Make a well in flour; add
- egg. Gradually stir 1/4 cup of reserved broth into egg, picking up
- flour as you go. Continue until flour is used up, adding additional
- broth as needed, and dough is consistency of pie dough. Pour any
- remaining reserved broth back into stockpot.
- Turn dough onto floured surface; knead in additional flour to make
- stiff dough. Let dough rest for 15 minutes. On a floured surface,
- roll out dough into a 17-in. square. Cut into 1-in. square pieces.
- Dust with additional flour; let dry for 30-60 minutes.
- Bring broth to boil (you should have about 4 quarts). Drop squares
- into boiling broth. Reduce heat to a slow simmer; cover and simmer
- for 10 minutes. Uncover; cook until a until a toothpick inserted in
- a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering).
- Dust with pepper and add reserved chicken meat. Yield: 8-10
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 310 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 981 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.