Grandmother's Chicken 'n' Dumplings Recipe
- 1 large chicken (6 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup reserved chicken broth
- 1. Place the chicken, salt, water, vinegar, onion, carrots and celery in a large stockpot, adding more water, if necessary, to cover chicken. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat nearly falls from the bones. Remove chicken from broth; allow to cool. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings.
- 2. Remove meat from bones; discard skin and bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside and keep warm. Set aside 1 cup broth; cool to lukewarm.
- 3. To make dumplings, combine flour and salt. Make a well in flour; add egg. Gradually stir 1/4 cup of reserved broth into egg, picking up flour as you go. Continue until flour is used up, adding additional broth as needed, and dough is consistency of pie dough. Pour any remaining reserved broth back into stockpot.
- 4. Turn dough onto floured surface; knead in additional flour to make stiff dough. Let dough rest for 15 minutes. On a floured surface, roll out dough into a 17-in. square. Cut into 1-in. square pieces. Dust with additional flour; let dry for 30-60 minutes.
- 5. Bring broth to boil (you should have about 4 quarts). Drop squares into boiling broth. Reduce heat to a slow simmer; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover; cook until a until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering). Dust with pepper and add reserved chicken meat. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 310 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 114 mg cholesterol, 981 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Reviews for Grandmother's Chicken 'n' Dumplings
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.