Grandmother's Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce Recipe
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups cubed day-old white bread
- 4 cups cubed day-old wheat bread
- 1/3 cup raisins
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 cups cold water
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in bread cubes and raisins. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 2. For sauce, combine the sugar, cornstarch, salt and water in a large saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 4. Remove from the heat; gently stir in lemon juice and butter. Serve with bread pudding. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-15 servings.
1 cup: 344 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein
Reviews for Grandmother's Bread Pudding with Lemon Sauce
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.