Grandma Zauner's Dobosh Torte Recipe
This rich torte has been a tradition in our family for many years. My mother still serves it on Christmas Eve as a birthday cake for the Christ child.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line two greased 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and grease and flour the waxed paper; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks for 2 minutes. Add 3/4 cup sugar and beat for 3 minutes until mixture is thick and pale yellow and falls in a ribbon from beaters. Beat in vanilla.
- 3. In another large bowl, beat egg whites and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Fold flour into egg yolk a third at a time. Stir in a third of the whites. Fold in remaining whites. Spread into prepared pans.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5. For frosting, in another large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, chocolate, milk and vanilla until smooth. In a chilled small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture.
- 6. To assemble, split each cake into two horizontal layers. Spread 1 cup frosting on one layer. Repeat using all layers. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting. Sprinkle with grated chocolate if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 330 calories, 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 131 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Grandma Zauner's Dobosh Torte
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC