Grandma Schwartz's Rouladen Recipe
- 3 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 medium carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 6 dill pickle spears
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed golden cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving drippings.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut steak into 6 serving-size pieces; pound with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread tops with mustard. Top each with two carrot pieces and one pickle spear; sprinkle with onion. Roll up from a short side and secure with toothpicks.
- 3. In a large skillet, brown roll-ups in bacon drippings over medium-high heat. Place roll-ups in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Top with mushrooms, parsnip, celery and cooked bacon.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk the soup, wine and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving: 288 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 74mg cholesterol, 1030mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 28g protein.
Reviews for Grandma Schwartz's Rouladen
"This totally surprised me with fabulous taste. I did not add parsnips this time and instead added onion slices. Next time I would love to try the parsnips. The only other change I made was cutting the carrots and pickles to match the size of beef slices instead of poking out like the picture here, adding about 1/3 C water and cooking for 3 hrs on simmer instead of 6. At 3 hrs, the beef was perfectly cooked. I loved the taste that golden mushroom soup gave this dish. So much better than all other rouladen recipes I've tried in last 45 years. Good job Grandma Schwartz!"