Grandma Schwartz's Rouladen Recipe
- 3 bacon strips, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 medium carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 6 dill pickle spears
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed golden cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving drippings.
- 2. Meanwhile, cut steak into 6 serving-size pieces; pound with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread tops with mustard. Top each with two carrot pieces and one pickle spear; sprinkle with onion. Roll up from a short side and secure with toothpicks.
- 3. In a large skillet, brown roll-ups in bacon drippings over medium-high heat. Place roll-ups in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Top with mushrooms, parsnip, celery and cooked bacon.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk the soup, wine and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until beef is tender. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 288 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 74 mg cholesterol, 1,030 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.