My grandmother use to make these rolls for family get-togethers and holidays. The applesauce adds so much flavor.—Nancy Spoth, Festus, Missouri
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the sugar, applesauce, egg whites, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (dough will be slightly sticky). Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. use floured hands to shape into rolls. Place on two baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Grandma's Yeast Rolls in Country Woman March/April 2004, p36
Reviews for Grandma's Yeast Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 8, 2012
"Yeast rolls are always a big hit at any meal ."