Grandma's Wheat Germ Cookies Recipe
In her Clear Lake, Minnesota kitchen, Pam Voigt lightened up a traditional oatmeal chocolate chip cookie by adding wheat germ, eliminating butter and using applesauce.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and oil until blended. Beat in egg, then applesauce. Combine the flour, wheat germ, oats, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to brown sugar mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- 2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Flatten slightly with a glass bottom coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and cookies are set. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 each: 102 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Grandma's Wheat Germ Cookies
Reviewed Jul. 29, 2013
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC