Grandma's Sweet-Sour Veggies
With summer fast approaching, we look forward to a bonanza of fresh vegetables. There's nothing like a large bowl of fresh veggies to perk up a summer meal. This is one of our favorites.
12-14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3 cups cauliflowerets
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, julienned
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Sunflower kernels, optional
- In a bowl, combine the cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, zucchini and
- onion; set aside. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring vinegar,
- sugar and salt if desired to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in
- oil. Pour over vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate
- overnight. Just before serving, sprinkle with sunflower kernels if
- desired. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One 3/4-cup serving (prepared without salt and sunflower kernels) equals 60 calories, 17 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 10 gm carbohydrate, 1 gm protein, 2 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetables, 1/2 fat.