Grandma's Sugar Cookies Recipe
This is one of my great-grandmother's recipes that I received years ago from one of my great-aunts. We bake these cookies for holidays and other special occasions. —Kristy Deloach, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- Assorted food coloring and decorations of your choice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream the sugar, butter, vanilla and salt. Add eggs and mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture. Chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut shapes with cookie cutters; place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-12 minutes (depending on size) or until light golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Tint with food coloring. Decorate cookies as desired. Yield: 6 dozen 2-1/2-inch cookies <i>or</i> 1-1/2 dozen 4-1/4-inch cookies.
1 small cookie (calculated without decorations) equals 93 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 62 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Sugar Cookies
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC