- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- Assorted food coloring and decorations of your choice
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar, butter, vanilla and salt. Add eggs and mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture. Chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut shapes with cookie cutters; place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-12 minutes (depending on size) or until light golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Tint with food coloring. Decorate cookies as desired. Yield: 6 dozen 2-1/2-inch cookies <i>or</i> 1-1/2 dozen 4-1/4-inch cookies.
Reviews for Grandma's Sugar Cookies
"Good flavor, easy to make, BUT didn't hold their shape at ALL. All the cookies ran together; useless to decorate as the shapes I cut. Waste of time, now I have to make a different recipe this AM. Only make if you don't care how they look."
"To print without the ad on the side, copy and paste to a word document. Then delete the ad and print."
"The flour at 3 c. is correct. When you roll out the dough, you use a liberal amount of flour on the board and sprinkle on top so it doesn't stick. The dough works this flour in. If you put more flour in, then roll out on the flour, it will be too much and make a tough cookie. Please remember, in Grandma's day, that was how you made cut-out cookies. I made these and they turned out perfect, using probably 1/4 c. flour on the dough board. They don't last long enough to decorate! Unfortunately I do not have my grandmother's recipe, but this is close -- regardless, they are great!"
"Could anyone tell me how to print this recipe without the "only 3 ingredients" on the side of the page? It is for the full page size. If you delete the photos it takes it off but it also takes off the picture of the cookies."
"Sugar cookies are my favorite so I am always comparing recipes. I just made a similar recipe and it was awesome. If you cut down the sugar to 1 cup and use one egg I think it will turn out for you."