Grandma's Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional butter
- 1-1/2 quarts fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk egg and half-and-half cream; add all at once to the crumb mixture and stir just until moistened.
- 2. Spread batter into a greased 8-in. round baking pan, slightly building up around the edges. Bake at 450° for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Split cake widthwise in half; butter bottom layer. Spoon half of the strawberries over bottom layer. Spread with some of the whipped cream. Cover with top cake layer. Top with remaining berries and whipped cream. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 405 calories, 26 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 108 mg cholesterol, 444 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Strawberry Shortcake
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.