Grandma's Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional butter
- 1-1/2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In another bowl, whisk egg and half-and-half. Add all at once to crumb mixture; stir just until moistened.
- 2. Spread batter into a greased 8-in. round baking pan, slightly building up the edges. Bake until golden brown, 16-18 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Beat heavy cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Split cake in half crosswise; butter bottom layer. Spoon half the strawberries over bottom layer. Spread with some whipped cream. Cover with top cake layer. Top with remaining berries and whipped cream. Cut into wedges. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 381 calories, 25g fat (16g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Strawberry Shortcake
"This recipe was so easy to make and so delicious. The only problem was there was not enough to go around!"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.