"This is one of the first recipes Grandma taught me to make,” recalls Shannon Chabes in Portage, Indiana. “All summer long, she makes these pies, substituting different seasonal fruits and gelatin flavors. But strawberry has always been the favorite-and it's even better topped with a dollop of whipped cream.”
Recommended: 55 of Our Favorite Berry Dessert Recipes
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup whipped topping
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Gradually add oil and milk, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Press into a 9-in. pie plate.
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water and corn syrup until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Stir in strawberries. Pour into pastry shell. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until set. Garnish with whipped topping. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Grandma's Strawberry Pie in Healthy Cooking
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Grandma's Strawberry Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 20, 2008
"I thought it tasted to fake strawberry(probably because of jello). Also it didn't set up well."