Grandma's Stollen Recipe
When I was a child, my grandmother always prepared stollen at Christmas and Easter. This recipe makes four loaves, which are great to share with family and friends.Kathy Green, Layton, New Jersey
- 1-1/2 cups chopped almonds
- 1-1/2 cups chopped candied citron
- 1-1/2 cups red candied cherries
- 3/4 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup brandy
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the almonds, citron, cherries, pineapple and raisins. Stir in brandy. Cover and let stand for several hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, combine 4 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a very large greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; turn onto a floured surface. Knead fruit mixture into dough (knead in more flour if necessary). Divide into fourths. Roll each portion into a 10-in. x 8-in. oval. Fold a long side over to within 1 in. of opposite side; press edges lightly to seal. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 4 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Grandma's Stollen in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p92
Reviews for Grandma's Stollen(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review