Grandma's Squash Pie
Like my Grandma Bessie did, I grow my own squash, cook it, then freeze it in two-cup portions to use in this recipe. It rivals any pumpkin pie!
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2 cups mashed cooked winter squash
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Whisk in egg yolks and
- milk. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form;
- gently fold into squash mixture. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30-35
- minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out
- clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 358 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 184 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.