Grandma's Squash Pie Recipe
Like my Grandma Bessie did, I grow my own squash, cook it, then freeze it in two-cup portions to use in this recipe. It rivals any pumpkin pie!
- 2 cups mashed cooked winter squash
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Whisk in egg yolks and milk. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into squash mixture. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 30-35 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Grandma's Squash Pie in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2004, p128
Reviews for Grandma's Squash Pie(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review