Grandma's Spinach Salad
This was my grandma’s favorite salad. It’s colorful and has a sweet-sour blend to tempt any taste buds. Even my kids like it (don’t tell them spinach is good for them)! With the increasing popularity of spinach, more farmers in our state are growing this crop than ever before.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 5 Eggland's Best Hard-Cooked Peeled Eggs, sliced
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a small bowl, whisk the sugar, oil, vinegar and celery seed.
- In a large salad bowl, layer half of the spinach, onion, mushrooms
- and eggs. Repeat layers. Top with bacon. Drizzle with dressing.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1-1/4 cups) equals 272 calories, 20 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 138 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 8 g protein.