Grandma's Sour Cream Raisin Pie Recipe
- 1 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a small saucepan, place raisins and enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, the sugar, cornstarch, salt, cloves and cinnamon. Stir in sour cream and milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Drain raisins, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Gently stir liquid into filling. Add raisins, and nuts if desired. Pour into pie shell.
- 4. For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- 5. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 376 calories, 14g fat (7g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 258mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Grandma's Sour Cream Raisin Pie
"This pie had an absolutely delicious flavor - the cloves and cinnamon were just the right touch. (I didn't include the nuts.) Beautiful to look at when done too - great recipe!"
"A friend asked me to make him one and I was pleasantly suprised at how good it was. I picked this recipe blind as I has never heard of it before. He had said he had some in Montana somewhere...... How do you keep meringue from weeping????"
"I love this pie - Marie Calendar's no longer has it on there menu - now I can make this delicious old fashioned goodness pie>"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.