- a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan,
- stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2
- minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Drain raisins, reserving 1/2 cup liquid. Gently stir liquid into
- filling. Add raisins, and nuts if desired. Pour into pie shell.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and salt on medium
- speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon
- at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling,
- sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire
- rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 376 calories, 14 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 258 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.