Grandma's Sloppy Joes
My grandma served these sandwiches each time I visited as a child. When I had children of my own, I relied on this recipe as an inexpensive way to feed them. They like it, and now my grandchildren do, too. - Patricia Pidgeon, Sycamore, Illinois
8 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the
- meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, relish and brown
- sugar; mix well. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until heated
- through. Spoon onto buns. Yield: 8 servings.
To prevent brown sugar from hardening, store in a resealable plastic bag in a cool dry place. If it does harden, add an apple wedge to the bag until the sugar softens (about 1 to 2 days); discard the apple.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 369 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 994 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein.