Grandma's Rice Dish Recipe
My grandmother often made this casserole when I was young. I forgot about it until I found myself one day adding the same ingredients to leftover rice. The memories came flooding back, and I've made this recipe regularly since then. —Lorna Moore, Glendora, California
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 2. Stir in rice, tomatoes, corn, olives, bacon and seasonings; heat through. Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Toss bread crumbs with butter; sprinkle over top.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 719 calories, 37 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 136 mg cholesterol, 1,397 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 41 g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Rice Dish
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC