- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in rice, tomatoes, corn, olives, bacon and seasonings; heat through. Stir in 1 cup cheese until melted.
- Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Toss bread crumbs with butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Grandma's Rice Dish
"Oddly enough, I used Grandma's rice dish as the bottom of my protein bowls. It was very easy to lower the salt content by not adding salt or olives. I left out the bread crumbs but I still think this is a very versatile dish and should give people lots of ideas about ways to use it."
"This was horrible. The bread crumbs made it that much worse. Don't waste the ingredients like I did."
"I love this recipe. It is a good family favorite. I generally add 1 can of rinsed canned black beans to the mix. It is delicious! It tastes like the dishes that I was served in Brazil."
"This recipe was okay but lacked that wow factor. I did not top with the bread crumbs and butter but I like the idea from Texas Cookie of using a cracker crumb topping. I used fresh tomatoes as a topping because my family loves them."
"Extremely tasty comfort food. We used extra sharp cheese and a cracker crumb top but otherwise stuck to the recipe. For those who prefer something spicier I would suggest a little more chili powder or perhaps some Ro*tel tomatoes instead of the plain ones called for; it would be an easy fix."