Grandma's Red Velvet Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 bottles (1 ounce each) red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until thickened and opaque. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat in cornstarch mixture. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until frosting is light and fluffy. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews for Grandma's Red Velvet Cake
Sort By :
I made this recipe but I thought it had an underlying egg tast to it. Everyone liked it, and i will use it, but I will still try other recipes.
Who wants to put two bottles of red food colouring in food that we are going to feed our families. That is crazy. This recipe used to call for beets did it not that are so nutritious.