- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 bottles (1 ounce each) red food coloring
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in food coloring, vinegar and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool layers 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine water and cornstarch in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until thickened and opaque, 2-3 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Beat butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Beat in cornstarch mixture. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews for Grandma's Red Velvet Cake
"This cake looked pretty, but the amount of butter in the frosting was just too much for our family. A whole pack of butter! I think I'll keep looking for a better recipe."
"I made this recipe but I thought it had an underlying egg tast to it. Everyone liked it, and i will use it, but I will still try other recipes."
"This cake is exceptionally good and the icing delicious. I used 1 bottle of red food coloring as suggested and increased the baking cocoa to 4 tbsp. Tossed my old red velvet cake recipe and replaced it w/ this one! Really tasty and the presentation is great when garnished w/ a raspberry sauce and a few fresh raspberries. A keeper!"
"I have never rated a recipe before but I have made this recipe both as a cake and cupcakes 3 times within a one month period. They are my families new favorite. I did make 2 minor changes. I use only 1 bottle of red food coloring and add 1 more tablespoon of baking cocoa. Hope you enjoy as much as we have."
"Super moist cake with THE best buttercream frosting ever!!"
"i made this recipe for my cake decorating class it turned out really moist. I only had on 1 oz bottle of red food dye( which is the perfect amount if you ask me this one pictures looks a little too dark). It turned out great!!"
"I liked this recipe. The frosting was good, but I used less butter than the recipe called for because I don't like the buttery frostings. I found that the cake didn't rise as much as I was expecting, but it was still fabulous."