Grandma's Pumpkin Bread Recipe
The aroma of pumpkin bread baking never fails to whet the appetite. This classic recipe is tender, moist and perfectly spiced and creates a sugary crust around the edges.—Kathleene Baker, Plano, Texas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:32 servings
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2-2/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2/3 cup water
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, pumpkin and water (mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until blended. Stir in nuts.
- 2. Transfer to two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 179 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC