- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2-2/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2/3 cup water
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, pumpkin and water (mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until blended. Stir in nuts.
- Transfer to two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Grandma's Pumpkin Bread
"Loaves turned out just like the picture but I would recommend flouring the pans too as one of mine stuck on the bottom. Very moist. Kind of mild flavor. I think next time I'll increase the seasonings just a smidge."
"Wonderful recipe.. mmm makes the house smell like Thanksgiving. Thanks"