Grandma's Poultry Dressing
Every family seems to have its own favorite dressing recipe which becomes a tradition, and this is ours. It came from Grandma, who passed it down to my mother. Now our children have carried it into their kitchens. This is truly a good old-fashioned recipe! —Norma Howland, Joliet, Illinois
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup milk
- 7 cups coarse dry bread crumbs
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, brown sausage. Drain
- and discard drippings. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat milk
- over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a large
- bowl, combine sausage, milk and remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 40 minutes or
- until lightly browned. Yield: 6 cups (makes enough to stuff a
- medium-size turkey).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 352 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 826 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.