Grandma's Potpie Recipe
My husband and father-in-law are both picky eaters, but they do enjoy this savory meat pie with flaky golden crust. The recipe is from my husband's grandmother.—Annette Wheatley, Syracuse, New York
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in onion powder and salt. Transfer to a greased 9-in.-square baking dish. Top with potatoes and vegetables.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over vegetables.
- 3. For crust, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until a soft dough forms.
- 4. On a floured surface, roll dough into a 9-in. square. Place over filling; flute edges and cut slits in top. Brush with melted butter. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Use a pastry blender or two knives to cut shortening into dry ingredients. The coarse crumbs should be the size of small peas when finished.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC