- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in onion powder and salt. Transfer to a greased 9-in.-square baking dish. Top with potatoes and vegetables.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over vegetables.
- For crust, in a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured surface, roll dough into a 9-in. square. Place over filling; flute edges and cut slits in top. Brush with melted butter. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Grandma's Potpie
"This was good, but the crust didn't really turn out as expected. It was quite thick and hard. Next time I'll use my own crust recipe."
"Another note I didn't mention- I cheat and use a premade crust. I find it much easier at this point when I don't have much time and it also isn't as "bulky" of a crust."
"The crust was good but a bit thicker than expected. Needed twice as much gravy or sauce so we'll increase that on the next go-round. Overall good comfort food."