Grandma's Potato Salad Recipe
- 6 pounds medium red potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 hard-cooked large eggs, sliced
- 1. Place potatoes in a stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice potatoes; cool completely.
- 2. For the dressing, in the top of a double boiler or metal bowl over barely simmering water, heat water, butter and vinegar until butter is melted. In a small bowl, beat eggs; add sugar and cornstarch. Add to butter mixture; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Stir Miracle Whip into cooled dressing mixture; fold in whipped cream. Stir in onion, green onions, salt and pepper. Add potatoes; toss lightly to combine. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
- 4. To serve, top with hard-cooked eggs; sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 24 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Grandma's Potato Salad
"I have not made this, but I am an excellent cook, so I will give this 3 stars, since I think it looks like a good potato salad, with all the right elements. However, the dressing looks WAY too rich (whipping cream? butter?)!! And not enough eggs. My mom's formula for potato salad was "an egg to a potato." In other words, 5 potatoes, 5 eggs! Delicious!"
"Delicious potato salad"
"This is the recipe my Grandma used for years. Brings back great memories. Yummy??"
"Humm, this is the most unique and interesting potaoe salad recipe ive ever seen. I'm definitely interested in trying this ! Thanks for sharing."
"I made more potatoes and whipped two cartons of whipped cream with additional miracle whip and it was a success with people taking seconds and thirds, food home, and asking for recipe. What could be better than that!!!!!!!"
"I'll stick to my Hellman's Mayo recipe. Too much work without good results."
"Unusual bland taste. I sub in Hellmann's mayo for Miracle Whip and it still didn't taste right. Didn't realize they still made Miracle Whip? It's not what you call a flavor enhancer!!"
"This is DELISH! Takes a while to make but its worth it!!"
"We all loved this creamy potato salad, the whipping cream was the difference!!"
"I didn't actually try this recipe. My sister did, and she isn't a very good cook, so she didn't know the difference. The ingredients alone should give you a clue. It was awful! This is absolutely NOT grandma's potato salad."
"Very Sweet and bland...not worth all the trouble of cooking the dressing, cooling it down, whipping the cream.. needed mustard or celery."
"It was too sweet for us."
"I wanted to try something different. This was totally awesome family is picky about they're potatoe salads....this was a thumbs up for them all"
"This takes a little extra time, but is absolutely delicious!"
"Made this recipe over the weekend because my daughter thought she might like it. Neither of us liked the frothy consistency of the dressing. Taste was O.K., but wouldn't go to all the trouble to make it again."
"Labor intensive, and I did not think it was very good. Fairly blah, and definately not worth going thru all the work it takes. I won't make it again."
"Pretty plain. Needs pickle, celery, seasonings. Might be OK for kids with not much taste preference."
"Although tasty, it isn't one I would make again. The original Best Foods is still the best and contains much less fat"
" This recipe is very good!!!"
"I have not personally made "this" recipe but my mother-in-law shared a recipe for a cooked salad dressing and my children don't want their macaroni salad any other way. The cooked dressing IS worth the extra steps. My recipe is a little different and gives you the choice of lemon juice or vinegar (lemon for pasta, vinegar for potato is best). Miracle Whip is "salad dressing", not mayonaise. It is simply a different flavor option."
"I haven't tried this recipe. I am still looking for a recipe that my mom and grandmother used to make. My grandmother was 91 when she passed away in 1987. She handed that recipe down to my mother. Potato salad was the best i have ever had. Of all the recipe's i wrote down from my mother that was one that I didn't and one that I wish i did. I know that it had probably had pickle, I think some pickle juice, celery seed and probably miracle whip, eggs, paprika. Can anyone help me further on this"
"Your Grandma does make the best potato salad, thanks for the recipe!"
"This is identical to my Grandma's recipe, except for the corn starch, her's uses flour. I think the cornstarch would make it more smooth. My mother was famous for making this, now I have that honor!!"