Grandma's Potato Salad Recipe
Our Fourth of July feast wouldn't be complete without this cool, old-fashioned potato salad. It's my grandma's treasured recipe. —Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 45 min. + cooling Cook: 15 min. + chilling YIELD:24 servings
- 6 pounds medium red potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1. Place potatoes in a stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice potatoes; cool completely.
- 2. For dressing, in the top of a double boiler or metal bowl over barely simmering water, heat water, butter and vinegar until butter is melted. In a small bowl, beat eggs; add sugar and cornstarch. Add to butter mixture; cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Stir Miracle Whip into cooled dressing mixture; fold in whipped cream. Stir in onion, green onions, salt and pepper. Add potatoes; toss lightly to combine. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled.
- 4. To serve, top with hard-cooked eggs; sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 24 servings (3/4 cup each).
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC