Grandma's Potato Dumplings Recipe
- 2 day-old hard rolls
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1. Tear rolls into 1/2-in. pieces; place in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with water and squeeze dry.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add torn rolls; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine potatoes, egg, nutmeg and bread. Add enough flour to achieve a shaping consistency. With floured hands, shape mixture into 3-in. balls.
- 4. Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds full with water; bring to a boil. Carefully add dumplings. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumplings comes out clean. Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Heat 4-6 minutes or until golden brown.
- 5. Serve warm dumplings with butter. Yield: 4 servings.
1 dumpling with 1 tablespoon butter: 255 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 322mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Potato Dumplings
"The recipe did not say how many hard rolls."