Grandma's Pea Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound dried whole peas
- 1/2 pound dried green split peas
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 3 quarts water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1 teaspoon bouquet garni (mixed herbs)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, chopped, optional
- SPAETZLE DUMPLINGS:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup water
- 1. Cover peas with water and soak overnight. Drain, rinse and place in a Dutch oven.
- 2. Add ham bone, water and remaining soup ingredients except sausage and dumplings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- 3. Remove ham bone and skim fat. Remove meat from bone; dice. Add ham and, if desired, sausage to pan.
- 4. For dumplings, place flour in a small bowl. Make a depression in the center of the flour; add egg and water and stir until smooth.
- 5. Place a colander with 3/16-in.-diameter holes over simmering soup; transfer dough to the colander and press through with a wooden spoon. Cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- 6. Freeze Option: Prepare soup without dumplings and freeze in serving-size portions to enjoy for months to come. Yield: 16 servings (4 quarts).
IF COOKING FOR TWO: Prepare soup without dumplings and freeze in serving-size portions to enjoy for months to come.
1 cup: 155 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Pea Soup
"I have not yet made this soup, but it sounds INCREDIBLY delicious, and very close to my mom's old fashioned homemade pea soup. I remember that she always used a ham bone with plenty of meat still left on it, and she also used 'dried YELLOW peas' (which I can't find anymore). I'll go with the green peas, since I have no other choice. However, please clarify what you mean, when you call for 'dried whole peas' (the first ingredient in this recipe). I'm very anxious to make this soup!"
"This is the best flaoved Pea soup I've made. I will be replacing my long time trusted recipe with this one--yes it's that good!"
"Excellent. I didn't put in the smoked sausage, had a huge ham bone with lots of meat. Also didn't do the spaetzle. Lovely colour with the carrot. janet"