Grandma's Pea Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound dried whole peas
- 1/2 pound dried green split peas
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 3 quarts water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1 teaspoon bouquet garni (mixed herbs)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, chopped, optional
- SPAETZLE DUMPLINGS:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup water
- 1. Cover peas with water and soak overnight. Drain, rinse and place in a Dutch oven.
- 2. Add ham bone, water and remaining soup ingredients except sausage and dumplings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- 3. Remove ham bone and skim fat. Remove meat from bone; dice. Add ham and sausage if desired to pan.
- 4. For dumplings, place flour in a small bowl; make a depression in the center of the flour; add egg and water and stir until smooth.
- 5. Place a colander with 3/16-in.-diameter holes over simmering soup; transfer dough to the colander and press through with a wooden spoon. Cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- 6. Freeze Option:: Prepare soup without dumplings and freeze in serving-size portions to enjoy for months to come. Yield: 4 quarts.
1 cup: 155 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 6g fiber), 9g protein
Reviews for Grandma's Pea Soup
"This is the best flaoved Pea Soup I've made. I will be replacing my long time trusted recipe with this one--yes it's that good!"
"Excellent. I didn't put in the smoked sausage, had a huge ham bone with lots of meat. Also didn't do the spaetzle. Lovely colour with the carrot. janet"