Grandma's Pea Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound dried whole peas
- 1/2 pound dried green split peas
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 3 quarts water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1 teaspoon bouquet garni (mixed herbs)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, chopped, optional
- SPAETZLE DUMPLINGS:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup water
- 1. Cover peas with water and soak overnight. Drain, rinse and place in a Dutch oven.
- 2. Add ham bone, water and remaining soup ingredients except sausage and dumplings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- 3. Remove ham bone and skim fat. Remove meat from bone; dice. Add ham and sausage if desired to pan.
- 4. For dumplings, place flour in a small bowl; make a depression in the center of the flour; add egg and water and stir until smooth.
- 5. Place a colander with 3/16-in.-diameter holes over simmering soup; transfer dough to the colander and press through with a wooden spoon. Cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- 6. Freeze Option:: Prepare soup without dumplings and freeze in serving-size portions to enjoy for months to come. Yield: 4 quarts.
1 cup (calculated without sausage) equals 155 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Pea Soup
"This is the best flaoved Pea Soup I've made. I will be replacing my long time trusted recipe with this one--yes it's that good!"
"Excellent. I didn't put in the smoked sausage, had a huge ham bone with lots of meat. Also didn't do the spaetzle. Lovely colour with the carrot. janet"