- Remove ham bone and skim fat. Remove meat from bone; dice. Add ham
- and sausage if desired to pan.
- For dumplings, place flour in a small bowl; make a depression in the
- center of the flour; add egg and water and stir until smooth.
- Place a colander with 3/16-in.-diameter holes over simmering soup;
- transfer dough to the colander and press through with a wooden
- spoon. Cook, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Yield:
- 4 quarts.
IF COOKING FOR TWO: Prepare soup without dumplings and freeze in serving-size portions to enjoy for months to come.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup (calculated without sausage) equals 155 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein.