Grandma's Orange Milk Sherbet
My dear grandma made this sherbet for my birthday party in the 1930's. She squeezed whole oranges to get the juice for it. I often double the recipe...it's so refreshing on a hot summer day.
16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk, scalded and cooled
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- In a large bowl, combine orange juice and sugar; blend thoroughly.
- Add milk and mix. Place in chilled ice cube trays without dividers
- or a shallow pan; freeze until mushy.
- Place mixture in a bowl and whip. Add pineapple and juices. Return to
- trays or pan and freeze. Yield: about 2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 97 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 23 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.