- 6 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine strawberries with sugar and vanilla; mash slightly. Let stand at least 30 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400°. For shortcake, whisk together flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add buttermilk; stir just until combined (do not overmix). Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with 2 tablespoons heavy cream; sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake 18-20 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For topping, beat heavy whipping cream until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. To serve, cut biscuits in half; top with strawberries and whipped cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Grandma's Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcake
"Oh so heavenly!"
"Made it exactly as written. My husband said "don't lose that recipe". It was really good. Shortcut biscuits were just like my grandma made too."
"This recipe is just like the one my mom used to make! It was very tasty, and my family enjoyed it. I might add a tad more sugar or spice to the biscuit batter next time for a little more flavor. But the biscuits were delicious with the whipped cream and strawberries."