Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
This recipe—a favorite of my husband's—goes back to my great-grandmother. At Christmastime, we use colored sugar for a festive touch.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cup shortening
- 4 eggs
- 4 teaspoons water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups chopped raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Additional granulated sugar or colored sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in water. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in the oats, raisins and walnuts.
- 2. On a surface sprinkled with additional sugar or colored sugar, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut out with desired cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 12 dozen.
2 each: 128 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Grandma's Oatmeal Cookies
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC